E-commerce platforms have similar basic features with minor differences. The platforms allow you to send customers products and receive online payment. Your business model and requirements will determine your right choice. For instance, the best e-commerce platform for small business differs from that of a large business.
This software helps you to build your online store. It also has online payment processing capabilities. Most e-commerce has different software that you can install. They can help your business to flourish even with the new technology. They provide you with fundamental tools that allow you to run your online store successfully.
How to select a good platform for large business
- Focus on out-of-the-box features- as an entrepreneur, you need a feature rich platform. These will allow you to easily launch and scale with.
- You should evaluate the platforms performance- check for the scores mean which is an average of performance, features, and ease of use. Not forgetting the platform’s scalability.
- You should keep into account the design and format you desire for your site. It varies with the e-commerce software you choose.
- Choose between hosted e-commerce platforms and self-hosted e-commerce solutions. Hosted ones are user-friendlier while the others are more flexible and advanced but technically challenging. They include Shopify, BigCommerce etc. For self-hosted you require more time and dedication to manage your site in terms of configuration, optimization, hosting etc. Such platforms include Magento, open cart, WooCommerce etc.
- Platform loading speed- the loading time of your platform indicates how fast your site is. It determines the number of potential customers visiting your site. They tend to run away from slow sites. Each second gained in your site loading speed is directly translated into sales gained.
The e-commerce platform you choose affects the loading time of your site. Some load faster than others. Self-hosted platform allow you to optimize your loading speed.
E-commerce platform features
They include back-in-stock email notification features, dropship integration and much more. They allow you to brand your site, accept basic online payment types, open an online store etc. They are about 41 core features. Ensure that your platform can handle your business model and it can deliver on crucial features. Some features are:
- Analytics and Reporting feature- best e-commerce software entails powerful reporting and analytic capabilities. They identify tools available to track website performance, website traffic, and referring sites.
- Marketing- these are tools and resources designed to help in the promotion of your sites. They include search engine optimization and email marketing.
- Order Management- they contribute in the order process. This includes sending automated order confirmation, manage inventory levels, cancel orders etc.
- Payments- the best software should outline payment options capability. It should allow you to access other payment gateways and facilitate payment options.
You can rate the features according to:
- Scalability- it is the ability to sell across multiple channels. This leads to the growth of your website. It allows you to make sales on other platforms and even countries. Bigcommerce platform outdoes the others due to the availability of marketplace and social integrations in their lowest package.
- Ease of use- as an entrepreneur, you should be able to launch and run an e-commerce online store on your own. Some experiences are made a bit easier by phone support, 24/7 support, free templates support etc.
Examples of ecommerce platform for large business
- Shopify- in this platform, all the tools are integrated to your stores. With just a few clicks you can connect to your payment processor giving a room for customers to buy your products. It simplifies the online store building challenges. It is intuitive, have customer login functionality and a large number of payment options. However, it is difficult to adapt for multilingual store.
- BigCommerce– it is slightly different from Shopify in that it has more tools in its basic package that enable you to build your online store. It has advanced features for large online stores and customer accounts that support store credits. It has a limited range of free templates and does not support multilingual capabilities.
- WooCommerce– it has many tutorials available. It is powerful and has open-source. However, it is technically challenging.
- Volusion– it has many available feature and helpful support. It has limitations in that it is not easy to use and it has no app store.
- Read more eCommerce Resource Center for Large Businesses
Finding the best platform can be overwhelming and sometimes frustrating. This is due to the rapid development of e-commerce market and technology. Each and every e-commerce platform have advantages as well as disadvantages. It is important to be aware that after setting up an e-commerce online store, you should be in a position to run and manage it. Otherwise, you will not get the desired results.